The Superintendent is responsible for all work on site ensuring that the physical work is completed within budget, on schedule, and in accordance with the contract documents. He should be committed to minimizing the cost of the project through the efficient use of field forces and materials.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES:
This job specification should not be construed to imply that these requirements are the exclusive standards for the position. Incumbents may be required to perform any other related duties as may be requested by their supervisor/manager.
To effectively complete the responsibilities of this position, the candidate must be able to complete the following:
• Lead and participate in delivery of CANA Safety program and site specific safe work procedures.
• To ensure that all subcontract forces as well as our own forces work as quickly and efficiently as possible on site. This includes scheduling and coordinating subcontract field forces and making sure that all queries asked are responded to. Ensure that all work carried out by subcontractors is done in accordance with the plans and specifications.
• Investigate ways of reducing the cost of the project and ensuring that opportunities to do so are acted upon where it is appropriate. Make “deals” with both the consultants and subcontractors to reduce the cost of the project. This is to be done in concert with the Project Coordinator or Project Manager.
• Work with the Construction Manager to produce project schedule which all subcontractors agree with and are committed to achieving. Supply information to update and monitor schedule to ensure that milestones are met. Take appropriate action to bring schedule back on track if schedule begins to slip.
• Review and understand the scope of work and responsibilities included in the subcontracts issued by the estimating department.
• Conduct subcontractor site meetings including writing and issuing minutes of the meetings to all concerned.
• Ensure that the site is kept clean and all work is done in a safe manner.
• Ensure that all changes to the contract are incorporated into the work on site.
• Ensure that site documentation (such as weather, accidents, field force numbers, concrete pours, etc.) is accurately recorded on a daily basis. Where backcharges to subcontractors are being assessed make sure that the subcontractors are advised of same and initiate the required contract change order.
• Coordinate the delivery of materials and equipment on site.
• Review, coordinate, and expedite shop drawings.
• Ensure that relations with subcontract field forces are kept cordial in that so far as possible consistent with the understanding that the Superintendent will be “pushing” the subcontractors to complete their work as quickly as possible.
• Issue material and services purchase orders as required and approve subsequent invoices for payment by accounting.
• Collect and submit bi-weekly progress quantities as required for inclusion in cost reporting information.
• Be responsible for all site safety requirements including WHMIS Program and ensure training programs are implemented.
• Responsible for timely and accurate reviewed and approval of own forces timesheets.
• Journeyman or equivalent qualifications (Carpenter, Cement Finisher).
• 15 or more years of large-scale commercial construction and project management experience with a proven track record on large-scale projects being delivered on time and on budget.
• Effectiveness in the areas of construction safety and productivity, contractor management, construction planning and execution, project organization and construction project controls.
• Labour relations expertise in both union and non-union environments an asset.
• Possess strong communication, leadership, integration, problem-solving, interfacing, scheduling, project management and interpersonal skills.
• Professional conduct with both internal and external customers
• Demonstrate a commitment to all facets of the role; working towards the achievement of the company goals and objectives
• Awareness of policies and procedures and fellow team members within the organization.
• Previous commercial construction experience is beneficial & essential.
• The Project Superintendent is expected to devote 90% of his/her time to the on site supervision of CSEA and subtrade daily operations.