The Estimator is accountable to the Senior Pre-Construction Manager. Generally, the Estimator is responsible for the preparation of lump sum tender submissions, pre-construction conceptual estimates, project schedules, estimating and pricing assistance to current project teams for review by the Senior Pre-Construction Manager.
KEY PERFORMANCE MEASURES:
Responsible for accurate take off, pricing and analysis of project estimates on a whole project and component basis. Utilize good computer and communication skills with the goal of obtaining the most accurate price possible.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES:
This job specification should not be construed to imply that these requirements are the exclusive standards for the position. Incumbents may be required to perform any other related duties as may be requested by their supervisor/manager.
To effectively complete the responsibilities of this position, the candidate must be able to complete the following:
• Maintain record of receipt and distribution of bid documents.
• Prepare Preliminary Descriptive Summary.
• Invite trade contractor quotations.
• Advise of changes in subcontractor information for file updates.
• Review, analyze and check for completeness of bid documents. Query consultants as required to clear up any ambiguities/errors/omissions in tender documents prior to tender closing.
• Pre-tender site visit and report.
• Quantity take-offs of direct work items for tender submissions and for subtrade work as required for conceptual estimate submissions.
• Prepare bid sheets on specialty subcontractors.
• Summarize quantities, prepare spreadsheets for alternate and separate prices as required for tenders.
• Obtain prices for materials and equipment.
• Obtain, review and compile subcontractor quotations.
• Evaluate and provide cost and schedule impacts of the various alternative construction methods and materials.
• Prepare pre-tender preliminary construction schedule.
• Prepare overhead (general expenses) estimate.
• Assist with tender closing and delivery of tenders as required.
• Prepare post-bid analysis and Tender Results Summary including a cost/ft2 breakdown.
• Ensure that bid documents are returned to issuing party and deposits returned to CANA.
• Prepare initial cost summary for project (review by Senior Pre-Construction Manager).
• Issue contractual letters of intent and subcontracts in conjunction with the Construction Manager.
• Attend project start up meetings with the Senior Pre-Construction Manager and General Superintendent as required.
• Assist with on-site administration when required.
• Carry out other duties as may be required from time to time relative to estimating and on-site administration.
• High school and post secondary training in Civil Engineering Tech or equivalent.
• Professional conduct with both internal and external customers
• Demonstrate a commitment to all facets of the role; working towards the achievement of the company goals and objectives
• Awareness of policies and procedures and fellow team members within the organization.