The purpose of the Senior Estimator position is to estimate and secure profitable construction contracts for the division.
KEY PERFORMANCE MEASURES:
The Senior Estimator is accountable for the work of the estimating department in preparing complete and accurate building takeoffs, cost estimates and competitive tenders that result in profitable construction projects. The Senior Estimator will be responsible for the leadership, organization and development of people, systems and knowledge transfer within the estimating group.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES:
This job specification should not be construed to imply that these requirements are the exclusive standards for the position. Incumbents may be required to perform any other related duties as may be requested by their supervisor/manager.
• provide leadership, motivation, development and mentorship to maintain a strong estimating department
• possess the ability to complete conceptual and schematic estimates from limited information
• analyzes the project and estimate requirements and establishes a plan for developing the estimate
• must be comfortable liaising with clients and design teams
• reviews the scope of work, identifies subcontractor scope packages
• secures subcontractor tenders, checks subcontractor tenders for accuracy and coordination of content and incorporates in the general estimate
• prepares the tender package including tender form, schedules and attachments, obtaining signatures, and obtaining all insurance and bonding submittal requirements
• prepares complete and accurate takeoff and estimates of CANA’s own work including general condition items
• analyzes drawings and specifications, determines the duration and cost implications and incorporates into the estimate
• identifies innovative bidding opportunities and reviews them with the Vice President Construction Strategies
• provides pricing for change orders accurately and timely when required
• maintains a complete and accurate trade list and know who is looking for work, develop trade relationships
• assume a mentoring role with junior estimating staff
• acts always with the utmost professional integrity with the best interest of CANA requirements are being met.
• 15+ years of direct Industrial, Commercial and Institutional (ICI) building experience plus estimating training in lieu of formal education
• a College or University degree (Engineering or Construction Management preferred) or a diploma in Building Technology
• be highly organized, achievement oriented with strong personal drive, relationship oriented with focus on both internal and external customer needs, with the ability to independently perform technical tasks quickly and accurately.
The Estimator should have demonstrated qualifications in most or all of the following areas:
• A sound understanding and technical foundation of various building types, traditional subcontractor work scopes, construction systems and methods, construction specifications, building codes and requirements, construction tendering practices and contract types.
• Detail oriented with strong analytical, math and computer skills.
• Proficient in MS Word, MS Excel, MS Outlook, with a working knowledge of Auto Cad.
• Good memory, quick thinking and ability to relate current requirements to previous experience and pricing knowledge.
• Ability to plan, organize and complete estimating work independently
• Success in preparing estimates and winning tenders that result in profitable projects.
• Ability to work hard and calmly under pressure to achieve fixed deadlines, and the flexibility and dedication to work extended hours when required.
• Ability to work on several projects simultaneously.
• Experience working on projects valued up to $200M
• An excellent reputation with subcontractors and suppliers.