The Relay Technologist is responsible for the testing of electrical apparatus and protection and control devices on a project. He/she is responsible for the installation, testing and verification of these devices in a field environment. He/she will interface with construction crews, Client and Owner and therefore must be able to communicate in an efficient manner. He/she will be responsible for promoting the professional image of efficiency, quality and technical competence.
KEY PERFORMANCE MEASURES:
Responsible for the delivery of the commissioning aspects of a construction project in a safe environment on time, on budget and on quality while maintaining project team relationships and maximizing profit. He/she will be expected to mentor and train junior staff assigned to the project.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES:
This job specification should not be construed to imply that these requirements are the exclusive standards for the position. Incumbents may be required to perform any other related duties as may be requested by their supervisor/manager.
To effectively complete the responsibilities of this position, the candidate must be able to complete the following:
• Test, and commission electrical apparatus and protection and control equipment and systems in transmission substations
• Building, testing, and commissioning of utility protection and control equipment and systems in transmission substations according to general instructions and established standards
• Conduct the installation, commissioning, and operation of utility protection and control equipment and systems in transmission substations
• Set up and operate specialized and standard test equipment to diagnose, test, and analyze the performance of utility protection and control equipment and systems in transmission substations
• Supervise junior technicians and technologists
• Ensure field safety requirements are met
• Verification of field wiring
• Verification of external devices such as CTs, PTs, breakers, communications equipment, etc.,
• Commissioning of protection and control systems through secondary injection verification
• Writing of commissioning reports
• Diploma of Technology in Electrical Engineering or
• Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering
• Minimum 4+ years direct experience in field testing/commissioning
• Familiarity with numerical protection relays from various vendors
• Familiarity with computer operated secondary injection test sets (Omicron)
• Familiarity with equipment test sets (Doble M4000, Megger TTR, Vanguard)
• Strong troubleshooting skills
• Excellent grasp of the English language (verbal and written)
• Excellent computer skills
• Strong interpersonal skills as there is extensive customer contact
• Knowledge of site safety practices
• Must also have a valid driver's license
• Willingness to travel extensively
• Willingness to work various shifts
• Willingness to work overtime as required
• Willingness to be on-call
• Professional conduct with both internal and external customers
• Demonstrate a commitment to all facets of the role; working towards the achievement of the company goals and objectives
• Awareness of policies and procedures and fellow team members within the organization.
CANA High Voltage offers a comprehensive and competitive wage.