CANA Group started in 1942 as Burns and Dutton Concrete and Construction Company Ltd. A subsidiary of Standard Gravel, Burns and Dutton was owned by Red Dutton (a former player and president of the NHL), Reg Jennings and Bob Burns. In 1949, the company hired Jack Simpson as Chief Engineer, who had been proclaimed by Time Magazine as a “brilliant young engineer”. The early 1950s were some of CANA’s busiest years historically with an array of projects completed under the leadership of Jack.
In 1962, negotiations began in order to have the three former owners relinquish ownership to five of the company’s executives: Jack Simpson, Irv Thomas, Bob Burns, Herb Auck and Walt Hiller.
By the late 1970s, Jack was the majority stakeholder in the company with Irv Thomas appointed as President and Jack as Chairman. As the Chairman of the company, Jack Simpson solidified CANA’s reputation by assembling successful bids and overseeing construction projects through to completion.
In 1984 when Jack Simpson passed away, his son, John Simpson, became the President of CANA Group. To this day, John, now Chairman, continues to be an outstanding company leader, ensuring that all work done by CANA is professional, consistent and reliable.
In 1987, CANA acquired ACE Construction, which was renamed CANA Utilities in 2012. CANA has since acquired High Times Industries and Transmission Design Consultants (TDC) both under the CANA High Voltage banner.